Friday, June 18, 2010

I’ve been an artist all my life…


...ever since I was able to hold a crayon and draw on the wall, I have been blessed by a creative fever.

I must always have something creative going on in my life, whether it is painting, sculpting, decorating or designing. The few times when I have allowed myself to be distracted away from feeding my creative impulses I have become sad and depressed. 

The creative process is the drug that keeps me going, one day at a time.

Every project is one step closer to understanding myself as an artist and as a person. It took me 40+ years to figure out that I most enjoy the art of God’s greatest design, the human figure.

That was when I was able to define myself as a figurative artist. I am drawn to any painting, sculpture or work of art that incorporates the human figure.

I am fascinated with the tiniest subtleties of character. Move an eye or brow over a fraction of an inch and a face changes from one person into a completely different being. They might start out looking like a Mary, but that small, fractional movement of line or shadow turns them into a Nancy or a Jean. This to me is God’s greatest miracle.

I have spent many hours creating studies of the master’s of portraiture: Da Vinci, Gainsborough, Holbein and Botticelli, to name a few.

I have learned about the line, shadow and perspective of the face from studying the works of some of our greatest artists.

But, I have so much further to go, so much more to strive for.

There is little doubt that I will ever be another da Vinci, but I will work, study and create using my God-given talent until I am the best Diane Costanza He expects me to be.

‘til next time,
Diane

1 comment:

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...