Monday, June 21, 2010

What the heck is branding??



I have this recent need to define myself.  What kind of artist am I? What kind of décor do I like? What kind of product do I want to create to make a living?

I would love to just create art for arts sake, as the saying goes, but that huge things known as obligation and responsibility get in the way with my free time.

Why do I feel the need to put myself in a big, labeled box?

I think it started when I began to sell my work online, specifically on Etsy.

I have had a website and have been selling my “creations” online since 2003. But it wasn’t until I became a part of the Etsy culture that I realized that I hadn’t a clue about online marketing.

Etsy tells you that you should brand yourself. That you should create a recognizable product and style that will call attention to your unique design strengths… or something like that.

Well… that was when I got all up in my own face about who I was as an artist and what I was currently creating for my shop and how the hell do I “brand” this mess?

What I discovered first was that I was all over the place: portraiture painting, mixed media assemblage, miniatures, art dolls, watercolors, acrylics… what I had was a hodgepodge of every medium I have ever dappled in and it was, and still is, far from coherent.

If I don’t know who I am as an artist, it will be next to impossible for anyone visiting my shop to know who and what I am about. Not good.

Branding brings to mind a glowing, hot, red branding iron that will label me forever as just one type of artist. A very scary prospect, but one I need to get over.

My shop is still that jumble of styles and mediums, but I am working on sorting it, and myself, out. 


OK, enough of my rambling for today. I need to go make some creative and marketing decisions…

‘til next time,
Diane

Diane

1 comment:

  1. Funny thing, I was just talking about branding with an awesome vintage store owner. I'm very comfortable with the idea. Just like you as an artist are probably comfortable that art in its very nature is "un-natural," branding is a codification of objects, ideas, product. It's a cartoonish, over-simplified statement about what your company/image is, put in a memorable, palatable way.

    Thanks for following my blog, by the way. I'm following yours now as well, and look forward reading further about your artist journeys. xo. -Bella Q

    http://www.thecitizenrosebud.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!