Saturday, March 5, 2011

Desperate Romantics

This week I rented a fun movie from the library, the BBC's 6-part miniseries "Desperate Romantics" and watched all 6 hours in three days... Loved it!


The story is loosely based on the three 19th century artists that founded The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood: Dante Gabriel Rosetti, William Holman Hunt and John Everett Millais. The story takes you through their constant search for the perfect model and how those women become such an important part of their lives and work.

In true movie-making style, the story takes considerable liberties with the actual history regarding these men and their muses, both in timeline and in facts. But that is just fine because the producers make that plain at the very beginning of the film:


‘The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood were inspired by the real world, yet took imaginative licence. This story, based on their lives and loves, follows in that inventive spirit.’


The story is fun, humorous and also tragic. I admit, I cried near the end, but then you are again left with a bemused smile at the last scene.

The four main characters are enjoyable to watch and I was completely entertained from beginning to end. I mean, really, what woman doesn't love watching great looking actors portraying witty, charming artists?

click to open larger image
It also doesn't hurt that they portray the creators of work I have long admired. I enjoyed learning about the stories behind some of their more famous paintings, such as Millais' "Ophelia".


Now I won't say anymore and spoil it for you just in case you haven't seen it...

Oh! And a warning to my friends with more modest sensibilities, this aired in Britain, so there is a lot of nudity and explicit sexuality that we are not used to here in the U.S.



5 comments:

  1. Interesting... I will have to look into this.
    Thanks so much for linking with Studio Sunday
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog! Congratulations on working through and completing your commissioned piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo I am excited to check out the show!

    PS. With your interest in art, if you have time or interest I would love for you to check out a community art projct

    http://acommunityartproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/project.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great show. May have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by to say hello last week (I'm a little behind in my blog hopping!).

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like something I'd like and the men look devilishly yummy hahah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!