Friday, March 4, 2011

Finding Serenity

I say the Serenity Prayer often throughout the day. Do you know it?


My mom taught it to me many years ago. I understand that it is even the prayer that they say at every OA and AA meeting.

It is my own go-to prayer when things are not going right in my day. It can be a simple squabble with my husband or a bad day at work, but the prayer has always been there for me to make me feel better, more accepting of the given situation.

So imagine my surprise when after thirty years of quoting it, I went online and found that what I knew was only the first few lines of a much more in depth prayer:

I apologize to the original calligraphers of these beautiful works, but I did 
an image search and they came up on other people's blogs so I was not able
to source them back to the original artists.

Now I have even more words of wisdom to turn to (and learn) when I feel I am in need of a calming influence.

And there is an author, Reinhold Niebuhr. I never knew who wrote these words that give me such peace when it is needed most and now I do. I will have to research him.

If you don't already, tap into these words when times are tough. You will be surprised that when you give up your will to control what others do, and just try to just concentrate on what you alone have the power to change, how much more peace you will find within yourself.


4 comments:

  1. Words to live by, both the prayer and yours in the last paragraph. Very nice Diane. I like the new blog look and the addition of your beautiful face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very comforting words to remind us to live in the here and now! So glad to find your site Diane!

    Do come and enter my Artful Offering!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, a wonderful prayer that has often been attributed to St. Francis of Assisi. It's good that you are giving mention to he who actually wrote it.

    It has been said that if you want help with something, ask a busy person, because they get things done. You are obviously one of those. Keep up the good work!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, Thank you for your really nice comment regarding my artwork and interview on www.artbykarena.blogspot.com. Good luck in the painting give-away!

    I'm off the check out your Etsy site.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!