Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Insurmountable Task For This Spring!!


Have I mentioned my husband has turned over his office/computer room to me so that I could have an art studio of my own?

Yes, I am married to the most wonderful man in the world!

Sorry, girls, I got ’im…

The list of pros of this new arrangement stop there, however because

THIS ROOM IS A COMPETE MESS!!!

Yucky, smelly and just downright gross!

My man WAS a smoker and this office WAS the only room in the house designated for his disgusting indulgence, always with the door sealed shut.

Needless to say, the room when I received it, smelled like a stale ashtray. Because of the nature of the room’s use, I never went in to clean it after it became clear it was a hopeless situation. Now I regret that decision, though what I really could have done is beyond me.

Hubby tried his best to clean it and ripped out all the old shelving I wouldn’t be using. But even after several moppings and airings, it is clear that drastic measures are required.

The nicotine coated walls and ceiling will need to be scrubbed and repainted a clean white. Any other heavy-duty cleaning advise would be appreciated from my friends in blogland.

Warning, if you have a weak constitution, you may want to look away and scroll no further…
I was going to show you a picture of when the room was my son’s nursery vs. what it became after my love took it under his smoker’s wing, but it is all too sad.

Yes, the degradation of the room is disgraceful, but I am determined to reverse the damages!

Click on the image for a larger view... if you dare!

Join me this spring and summer as each week I embark on a new cleaning and decorating adventure as I seek to turn this sad, little room into the art studio of my dreams!

Can I do it? You KNOW I can!

Do YOU have any good heavy duty cleaning tips to share???


7 comments:

  1. I see great potential in that room. I think there are professional companies that do smoke damage repair, maybe you can get some advice from them? Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Oh! I do!!! But I'm going to have to come back to give you the name of it! After I burn my house down (I've done this a few times... seriously) the restoration company told me this cleaning stuff to use. I will look tonight and come back! Also - the "kilz" paint with primer is MAGIC!!!

    This is going to be fun to watch and enjoy with you!

    ;-D robelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well look at it this way, now you have the best excuse in the world to give the room a total makeover and make it totally yours. No working with what is there, there is nothing.
    But good luck with all the work. Keep your eye on the end result and try to enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane,

    Happy Anniversary to you and your hubby. My advise for keeping orderly and to keep you from losing your mind along the way is to take one section at a time {cabinets, walls, windows, furniture} regardless of wanting to stop and do something above, beside or below it! I've tried this approach and it seems that it gets done quicker...Really I just think it keeps your mind focused instead of in chaos as to what is happening next.

    I'll follow you so I can keep up with your progress.

    Thanks so much for visiting with me!

    Pink Sparkles,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used vinegar and baking soda to clean the ceiling, walls and windows when we moved into our house. They are cheaper than most cleaners and with a good rag... wow what a difference. It looks like you will have your work cut out for you. My prayers are with you in your endeavor. I will be following your blog to see what ideas you come up with for this magnificent space that you now have. I on the other hand have little creativity to get my space organized. I have said it so many times - that I would like to get my craft space organized. I have a whole room too. My problem? I have way too many crafting interests. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies!! I appreciate all the support and great advise! I will post again next week. Hopefully I will have more to show and tell.

    Smiles,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say Ammonia and vinegar, but you can't get ammonia anymore where I live, so the vinegar and baking soda would probably do the trick!! good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...