Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Art Journaling 5

Just back from a five-day field trip with my son to Nature's Classroom in Ivoryton, Connecticut, I am feeling closer to nature as well as to my son.

click on page to open to full size
I co-chaperoned twenty-four 6th & 7th graders as they "experience education from another perspective, outside the walls of the classroom." They took classes like building a sturdy rope bridge they could walk across to dissecting a shark. They took active roles in serving one another at meals and learning to appreciate and respect one another.

They even had a nighttime simulation of the Underground Railroad that had the children play the roles of slaves as they tried to run to freedom through the woods led by "friends of a Friend"(us chaperones) while pursued by the bounty hunters and the law (the councilors). It felt so real at times that it unnerved even me.

I was very happy to have been given the opportunity to be a part of my son gaining such a wonderful sense of community with his schoolmates while learning about being ecologically responsible.

I walked more in just these five days than I have in the last year! It was a wonderful experience for us both.

I'll have pictures to share of our journey soon.


1 comment:

  1. I'd like to invite you to add your banner or link to our Best Digital Scrapbooking Sites list. It's free to sign up. Hope to see you there

    Also featuring Digital Scrapbooking Freebies and Digital Scrapbook Tutorials

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...