Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Is your health affecting your business?


I’ve been extremely unmotivated lately, and even after a full week off from my 9 to 5 job I managed to not do a single creative thing the entire time, including working on the portrait commission I should have completed months ago! (So sorry Adrienne!)


My business has slumped along with my energy.

I think I am just so burnt out that I cannot find my muse anywhere. In addition to the portrait, I have a million other started projects piling up in my studio (the studio re-vamp unfinished, as well) waiting for me to get to them and share them with the world.

What happened to all my motivation? I believe that I took on so much at once that I have become overwhelmed and it makes me tired to just think about everything I should be doing. So, I have stopped producing anything at all.

Right now, mindless television and my family are my only interests.

You know the saying, “a body at rest stays at rest”?

That is so true.



I took a break after burnout and can’t seem to get back on track. It began with a break from the treadmill back in the winter that has pulled me into a downhill spiral ever since.

At the back of my mind I know that if I just got back on that damned treadmill every morning like I used to, I would feel much better, have energy to spare and have a much more invigorated attitude.

So why don’t I just do that? Why do I find myself hitting the snooze button on my alarm clock? Why can’t I get myself back into a healthy routine when I know perfectly well that it is the answer to everything that is wrong right now?

How do you do to pull yourself out of a slump?


4 comments:

  1. Diane - You'll just have to force yourself to get on that treadmill - just say "I'll do it for today" and then you'll get those endorphins flowing and you'll soon be out of your slump. I've been there, so hang in it will get better. Also, finishing one project will give you more energy - the more you have on your "to do" list, the more drained you'll feel just looking at it. My husband always says just make a list and look at one thing at a time and get it done - it sure works for him! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Diane, if I knew how to pull myself out of a slump, not only would I share the secret with you, bit I'd apply it to myself!

    My list of "should have done by now" things is endless. I can't use the "no time" excuse because my time is my own. I'm just not doing enough with it!

    Have you had a Lyme disease test? On LI that is not uncommon, and it could account for the tiredness. Your get-up-and-go leaves pretty quickly with Lyme.

    Good luck! It's lousy to feel lousy, and it's even worse when we turn around and point our own fingers at ourselves for being the root cause of our problems.

    My only advice is not to beat yourself up, accept that as humans we have our swings, and if you do ANYTHING on any day, be glad and grateful.

    I also think this is more common among creative types, like you; there's sometimes just too much going on inside, that -- know it or not -- it paralyzes the outside.

    All the best -- Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well.... the longest and worse I had lasted close to 2 years. I just couldn't make myself start. So one day I just grabbed my pencil, my microns, and I went for it. Be prepared because sometimes once you uncork the genie, it comes back with a revenge! ;o) Right after that I was making like 15 ACEO a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am having a similar experience with getting back into the gym! And I just saw a commercial today that used that phrase "a body at rest stays at rest." I usually reward myself...it can be a hot bath, a walk with my dog, painting my nails...for working out. Also, I tell myself I'll just try for 5 minutes; it's the getting there that's hardest.

    Sometimes I do the sandwich call, too...give someone (usually mom) a quick phone call and tell her the next time I talk to her I'll have gotten my work out in. :)

    Thank you, too, for joining my art blog hop!
    I enjoy following your blog and reading your posts! :)

    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...