Sunday, May 6, 2012

Art Studio Make-Over Wall Treatment



This weekend we finished the walls of the studio!

Woohoo!

I am so happy to be able to move on and work on the next step.

The walls were done to look like old-world plaster
using a tissue paper and paint technique.

Here is how my husband Andrew and I did it:

Attach tissue paper to wall with wallpaper paste.

STEP 1

I had a huge pile of un-used tissue paper hanging around from
shipping orders for the family belt-business back in the 80s.
Wanting to spend as little money as possible on this project,
I knew it was the perfect material to use to simulate plaster.

I began by rolling a 1 ft x 2 ft section of the wall with wallpaper
paste. I then placed a 12" x 24" sheet of tissue paper over the wet
paste, allowing the paper to wrinkle up and crease naturally.


Using a very light touch I painted another layer
of paste over the tissue to seal it.

The plan was to cover the whole wall in this manner
and then paint it with a left-over yellow paint we had from
another room, but after completing one wall this way, I
came home from work on day 2 of the wall project to find
that Andrew had done another section of a wall by rolling
the yellow paint directly on the wall, placing the tissue
paper over that and covering it all with another layer of paint.

It turns out that my wallpaper paste step was not necessary.
That is why he is called Handy Andy, after all.


STEP 2

The next step was to make the painted, crinkled paper
look like plaster by painting on a glaze. I had done a brown glaze
throughout the living room, dining room and kitchen two years ago
and a lavender Bellagio glaze (below) in our main bathroom.

I decided to keep the small studio light and use what was left of
the Bellagio glaze over the yellow for a fresco look.

My design style throughout the house is old-world european
and for the studio I am going to go for an old-world style with
bohemian flavor. I long to feel like I am in a Parisian garrett
like the pre-raphaelites or the impressionists.
How cool would that be?

Faux Bellagio Wall Glaze

The oatmeal looking glaze is brushed on a 3' x 3'
section, left to set for 15 minutes and then troweled over.
When the glaze is troweled, beads of white
pigment break up to look like smeared plaster.


wet Bellagio glaze

troweling the glaze

the dried fresco glaze

Andrew also took the fan that was hanging in the master
bedroom and moved it into the studio for really bright lighting.

BEFORE

AFTER


Next,
we replace all the moulding,
paint the radiator
and add a lot of shelves!





1 comment:

  1. The texture is amazing. I always wanted to do that, but it seems like a lot of work. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for your space.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!