Thursday, May 24, 2012

New Studio Floor and Shelves!




Andrew put in the new floor last night,
right over the old, trashed, wood parquet
floor that was original to the house.

Studio Floor - BEFORE

Of course, to refinish the floor would
have been the preferred option, but
a professional floor finishing was
not in our shoestring budget, so we
went with a Home Depot sheet vinyl
flooring in a tile pattern.

We chose a floor pattern that ties in with
the rest of the house's old-world, bohemian
style, which will continue in this room, as well:

Our hallway with the faux finish I did a few years back.
The studio is the door ahead on the left.
That is a copy of Leonardo DiVinci's self-portrait
between the doors. He is our greatest influence.
Our bohemian bedroom, with Queen Muncher on her throne.

In addition, it is easy enough to pull up and replace the single
vinyl sheet if I end up ruining it with paint or any hundred
of other art studio mishaps that can happen unexpectedly.

Studio Floor - AFTER
I'm quite happy with it!


The one storage space the studio was crying out for was
shelving for my extensive art book and magazine collection.

Andrew accommodated me by building heavy-duty
shelves for the magazines in the closet, adding an
additional counter for even more work space. The internet
connection is a bonus, as we are not sure yet what 
we will end up using the counter for.

Magazine Shelving & Extra Counter Space

On the adjacent wall where the work counter will
be, is over 25 feet of shelving to house my book 
collection, which includes art, crafting books
and my favorite novels (I adore vampires!)

Below the shelves has been kept open for
my mood boards, which I need to inspire me.

New Shelving
Everything has yet to be organized by subject, size, etc.


More later in the week!





7 comments:

  1. Hi Diane, thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like a great space you have so far! I'm stuck with what to do with my floors, I have no money to spend on my space, hoping to get a throw rug or something for free from someone, or use one I already have if it's big enough, we'll see.
    I'll keep following your progress, always need to get inspiration! Thanks!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Diane, you are really making progress! Your space is starting to look like a very inspiring space to work.
    Valerie
    Everyday Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane ~ I think we have that exact same flooring in our bathroom and another roll of it to go in the kitchen when we FINALLY renovate it this summer! I really love mine; it's beautiful AND easy to maintain!

    lol! I didn't see your cat on the pillows for a few seconds... so cute!

    and I love your sturdy book shelves! Don't you just despise those cheap ones (I have some) that droop?

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I'll try to start visiting more often.

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you did the before and after photos! Looking good so far! Don't you love getting organized?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a terrific size room for your space!! Already have lots of wonderful storage which is so needed for most of us that create!

    Looking good!Can't wait to see the finished result!

    bee blessed
    mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a job but is so wonderful to be able to create what you want. I loved seeing the before and after pictures and to see how you decided to store your supplies. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your space! The floor is very nice and so are your walls.. Love your ideas and your art is beautiful.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!