Monday, August 5, 2013

"No More Sugar" Update

At the risk of turning this art blog into temporary healthy living blog, I wanted to share some of my findings after a few days of being off sugar.

First, do you all realize that sugar is in almost every packaged food sold today? Even the savory foods?

It is in many foods you would never even think of as sweet. I have decided to just stay away from all processed foods, but sometimes that just isn't possible, so I am in search of unsweetened alternatives.

I was staggered as I began reading labels at the grocery store and found sugar in 9 out of the 10 items I would pick up. Even meat. I know that some meats are cured, but I guess I never thought that much about the curing process until I had to check each item before making a purchase.

Have I been living under a rock for all these years? Just totally naive is more like it.

Here are some of the foods I was surprised to find some added form of the sweet, sticky stuff I have always adored:

italian bread crumbs
sauasage
cured ham steaks
whole wheat bread
every cereal except puffed rice

I think I need to take a trip to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market to find a better unsweetened selection. I want to find a good whole wheat bread without added sugar. I'm ok living without all the other carbs (potatoes, white bread, etc.), but whole wheat bread I am finding it hard to do without.

I have even adjusted to drinking my tea without any sugar, I just add a dash of 1% milk to cut down on the acidity and I rather enjoy it, especially vanilla chai tea.

In any case, I believe I am doing really well and I have lost several pounds and the 1st week isn't even up yet. Also, I am not doing the treadmill as usual, so I look forward to upping my game by getting back to walking every morning.




2 comments:

  1. Great to hear your update! Yes, it's difficult for me to find food I can eat in regular grocery chains, unless they have a health food section. Whole Foods or a food co-op should be a fun outing! Again, read the labels. The processed foods there often have sugars too. I give myself treats like frozen banana "ice cream," almond butter on a rice cake, fresh fruit, and coconut pudding sweetened with stevia and berries on top. Otherwise, if my meals are really grounding with plenty of protein and lots of vegetables, I don't usually crave the sweet stuff. I look forward to hearing more as you go along. xo Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!