Sunday, December 29, 2013

My New Year's Mini Projects

In addition to launching my new e-Zine, Creative Miniaturist, and creating minis for my Etsy Shop, I have "resolved" to work on some of my own personal miniatures for my own enjoyment alone.


PROJECT #1

First on the list is to put together my McKinley dollhouse. I have had this dollhouse box stored under our bed for years. It was a Christmas gift from Andrew years ago and every now and then he asks me when I will be putting it together and my answer is always "When I get some time."
The McKinley by Greenleaf

Well, as you and I both know, time is what you make it. I must make the time for this project this year, for Andrew.

I love this dollhouse because it is made to hang on the wall. It is quite shallow in depth, so it functions more as a shelf than a dollhouse, so is perfect for displaying my mini collection of children's toys. I now just need to find the wall space!

I have been gathering together miniature toys for several years and have quite a collection, so have decided that the McKinley will be a toy shop. I already have several shop fixtures as well, so the toys now only needs a home. The toys are from various mini artisans and major manufacturers. Others are not even intended as minis, but fit well into the theme as they are.

I have a lot of work to do!


PROJECT #2

The other project that comes to mind is to finish my fairytale cottage. It is 3/4 done, but still needs some brick work done on the chimney and exterior, not to mention a base for the whole piece. I also have to mend the leading in the windows (more on that in another post,)
add front porch posts, create fairytale furnishings and accessories, etc.



I'll post pix and how I did it as I continue to work on the cottage.


PROJECT #3

This project is really more of a challenge. I have always wanted to produce a trash to treasure room box. That is, a miniature room box created entirely from found objects. I want to be able to create an entire scene using only what I already have here in my home and studio to create furnishings and accessories. I don't want to have to purchase anything except perhaps glue if I run out.


I believe it will be easier if I do a contemporary or modern scene so that I won't be restricted by historic accuracy. Pretty much anything goes in an ultra-modern home. Although I don't normally gravitate to modern decor, I think for this project it will be fun to see what I can come up with by using such random objects as a napkin ring and a cereal box originally meant for the garbage.


What miniature projects do you have planned for 2014?




6 comments:

  1. Diane, I look forward to seeing your projects realized! I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely Christmas card. I enjoyed looking at it very much. I would like to wish you a very Happy New Year and also to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have a busy year planned, all will be fascinating projects. I certainly plan on finishing my French project in 2014, it's something of a recycled plan though - it's the same one I had this time last year ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma. I am looking forward to watching your new French project emerge.

      Delete
  3. What fabulous projects! I also have created some miniature houses and theatres
    and plan to do more in 2014. It will be fun to see yours progress!
    ~ Violet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a little love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...